Originally, our plan was to buy a commercial toilet. But as we saw how small the room was going to be (less than 16 sq. ft) we started looking at other options. Commercial composting toilets are pretty large to say the least. They usually sit higher and you almost need a stool to step up on whilst "doing the doo"! Another thing we didn't like was the look of the toilets. They barely look like a toilet in a house and more like something from a space shuttle! The cost of them can be shocking also. I think the unit we were considering was around $900! So, we decided to build our own!
We decided to go with a basic loo based off the "Loveable Loo" design. We figured start easy and if it didn't work for us, we could go another route. The concept behind the "Loveable Loo" is that everything goes into one bucket, instead of a separator for liquids and solids. You put down a layer of media of sawdust, cedar chips, peat moss, or whatever you wish to use, do your business then cover with another layer of media and voila, you are done. Being that what you use for media, your waste and toilet paper are all biodegradable, you can compost it to use as fertilizer or just compost it to put it back into the earth. I know many in the tiny community use this same concept and report that it works well.
We decided we wanted to stain our loo the same color we stained the sink shelf. We used edge-glued shelf grade boards to make the loo. It's the same wood we used to make the sink shelf. We got all of our measurements and cut our boards to the proper length.
After all the cutting, we figured out which sides would be the bottom on the panels and marked them. Then, marked a line on the inside-bottom about 2" from the sides of all panels. This is for drilling a pocket hole so the base can be fastened to the bottom panel of the toilet. We screwed the panels down to a scrap piece of plywood. And, using a framing square we made sure that the panels were going down true.
After that we took the alignment jig off and ran masking tape on both sides of the glue joint to keep the wood clean. To apply the glue we took one of the panels off the plywood base. After applying the glue we replaced the panel and filled the holes with 1/4" dowels. With the joint was held firmly together we wiped the glue off, cut the dowels off, removed the tape, put the screws back in, and moved onto the next glue joint. We moved around the base and did one joint at a time being careful not to screw up the doweling direction.
There she is, all glued together and ready for the base.
We cut the base to the right dimensions and screwed it onto the box.
We mounted some flush hinges to the lid of the box.
W mounted the toilet seat. We also made some L shaped metal brackets to act as a seat stop. They keep the seat from falling back and banging into the wall.
Voila! Now we are ready for stain and varnish!
We stained the loo the same green we used on the shelf under the sink.
Looking good so far!
We added some decorative clasps on the sides to keep the lid closed.
Hubby checking out the finished project. He approves!
Fits perfectly in the little space we had for the toilet. Plenty of elbow room and all to do your business!
So there you have it...our loo! We are really happy with how it turned out. We will be trying different medias to see which works best for stopping odors. Our first will be to try the sawdust we have been collecting since it's free. The local feed store sells shavings and such for stalls so we may go look at what they have. I'll be sure to give a rundown on how the media works once we have been using it for a while. :)