Hubby got the graph paper out and got to work figuring out all the little details and design of the door. We bought a cheap frame-less full length mirror from Target for about $15.00. It was metal but had a clear look like glass. This door was built using cheap framing lumber and plywood. The door will be painted so no need to buy expensive hardwoods like we did for staining purposes.
Hubby ran planed down 2x6s and 2x4s (no specific dimensions) on a table saw with a dado blade set to 1/2". The frame itself is just 2 horizontals tongue and grooved between 2 vertical rails. If you look at the picture the groove in the edge is offset............. that is purposely done to give more hollow space for use in the closet! That extra 3/4" for us was the difference between staying within the door jam or bulging into the bathroom!
We designed the closet opening to be roughly the dimensions of a door mirror (48" x 12") . Hubby ripped down some scrap 2x4s and used a planer to make 1/2"x3" stock. Using the stock cuts he cut the shelf boards the full 3 inch width so they could rest inside the frame of the door. Next, he ripped some of the 3" stock down to 2 3/8" for the closet boards that will rest on top of the frame. No fancy joinery is needed for this because a pocket hole jig is used to hold everything together. The very bottom horizontal board had to be notched so it can rest inside the frame and the ends cover the bottom of the 2 verticals. We got it glued and screwed together.
We decided to add some rails as hold backs in the closet. Hubby drilled 1/4" holes in the vertical boards to hold 1/4" dowels.
We bought a standard interior door knob with a twist lock. We got it mounted per instructions.
We attached the hinges for the door and for the cabinet door also. We recessed them into the door so they were flush. Chisels are fun. Now on to build the cabinet door out of the mirror!
Hubby built the frame so the mirror could be recessed flush with the frame.
He used a ladder frame design and epoxied the mirror to it. He used generic JB Weld from Harbor Freight. (The stuff works and its cheap) The good epoxies usually take all day to harden so we used soft clamps and let it set for a while.
We then marked where the hinges would sit, chiseled out the areas and attached them.
Viola! Cabinet door attached!
Chiseled out the area for the door hinges to attach.
Outside of door with the frame built around it.
The cabinet clears the door frame even when the door is open so nothing hits. Which is nice in case someone is getting something out of the cabinet and the other person tries to open the bathroom door!
Inside section of the door. We attached some slide catches at the top and bottom of the cabinet door to keep it closed. The cabinet sits just a hair outside of the door jamb so no space is lost inside the bathroom. I think it turned out perfect! Paint to come soon!