Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Bedroom Part 2. The Finishing Touches.

We spent Valentines weekend finishing up the bedroom area.  We got everything we wanted done and still had time to enjoy a nice meal out with friends. 



We left the bedroom slightly unfinished in the last post.  We had the cabinets built but not faced.  We also had to finish the baseboards on the bed area.  It was still pretty ugly looking. 



We bought some nice poplar boards to make the facing out of.  We got all the measurements and cut the boards.  We then used the Kreg Jig to drill the holes on the backside, so you wouldn't see them when assembled. 








Here it is mostly assembled.  We wanted to see if it would make the turn from the hallway into the bedroom.  Of course it wouldn't.  That means we'd have to assemble it in place.  Kind of a pain, since the screws are on the backside and the area was tight! 






We took it back apart to stain it.  We stained the baseboards also.  We used the same cabernet color stain we used on the rest of the bedroom.  The baseboards are made out of pine framing lumber, just like the bed frame. You can see the poplar is streaked with green in the grain.  This had a neat effect on the stain. 






The grain really pops out on this wood.  The green shows through in places, making me think of rhubarb stalks!  I loved how it turned out.










Here it is, installed and screwed down tight.  This side is for clothes. 









This side is our utility area.  This will house our water tank, pump  and the filter system.  We plan to build doors for both sides but that can be done at a later date.










Ronnie applying the polyurethane sealer over the stain.  













Baseboards in place! 









 

There it is...our bedroom.  We are really happy with how it turned out!  We do plan on making doors for the cabinets but that will come later.   We'll be sure to use more poplar for them, to get that rhubarb color to match!  I love how that wood took the stain!  

Now, on to the kitchen!  YAY!  :D


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

All those tight areas make it hard to just assemble parts and install them. It usually means aboot three times the work involved! Now, we get to see if the cabinet doors will fit without modifying the window trim and finger out how to put removeable doors on the utility side of the cabinet! :-)
(Guy in pictures)

Thomas Brown said...

She says "We also had to finish the baseboards on the bed area. It was still pretty ugly looking."
(Guy in photos) says "What'd you mean it's ugly?" *gives her the stink eye*

hehe or at least I'd have done that. I love the color and the grain does pop. looks great.

wooot kitchen time.

Chrissy Stanley said...

Hehe Thomas! Thanks for the comment and the giggle!

Anonymous said...

I don't give her the stink eye.............just beat her with a stick!! He he! Or, I would if I saw her more than two days a week!

Chrissy Stanley said...

You only wish, Dear Husband of Mine! And once we finish Tiny, You'll see me all the time. And I'll drive you nuts! :)

Richmond Gordon said...

It looks like you’ve been doing a lot of work these days, Chrissy. Good thing you finished your tasks just in time for the Valentine’s date with your friends. Anyway, you did a great job with those stains. I also love your choice of color, and it's great that you picked the right wood for your frames. I’ll be looking forward to seeing the progress of your renovations, by the way. Keep us posted!

Richmond Gordon @ CertaPro Painters Ltd.

Chrissy Stanley said...

Thanks Gordon. We were quite happy with how it turned out. We are building the doors for the clothing and utility cabinets now. Same wood so hope it turns out just as nice. :)

Whit said...

Love the white walls!! And good idea using tile for your countertop!!

Chrissy Stanley said...

Thanks Whit! We love how the walls turned out. And the counters too. I have always liked white tile counter tops. :)