Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Living Small

When I first told people that we planned to build a tiny home, I met with a lot of negative views.  It did not change my mind but made me wonder why people are so against the idea.  I asked and most said it was due to being too cramped and not wanting to downsize their lives.  I had lots tell me I would not be happy living like that.  But do friends and family really know what's right for me?  It may not be right for them but I am ready to do it now!  Yes, there will be sacrifices but I am ready to make them.  Living small doesn't mean you have to give up everything you love or enjoy.  It means weeding out the junk you do not need.

Others couldn't grasp the concept of what we planned to do.  They had never seen a tiny home or read about them.  It became a mission to share this concept with others.  I know there are others like me not happy in the rat race of life and wanting to live simpler lives.  If I could point just one person in the direction, then my time was not wasted!  There are thousands of people all over the world  doing what we are planning to do and are happier because of it.  This is not a new concept at all, just one that has had little media exposure but there are those trying to get the word out. 

One of our favorite sites is a YouTube site: http://www.youtube.com/user/kirstendirksen

She travels around visiting people who live in tiny spaces.  Some of her videos are of tiny homes on wheels, some are tiny apartments but all are perfect examples of living in tiny spaces!  Some are simply amazing examples of what creative ideas can do to transform a tiny area. 

I hope to encourage others to think outside the normal "House" box and see they have other options.  Imagine moving to new places every few years without selling your old house and buying a new one.  Imagine the freedom of living you could achieve!   :)


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! Can't wait to read about your great journey! ~ kirsten x

Anonymous said...

Me either! I think it's wonderful you are doing what you want to do. I have a secret dream to do the same thing! That is when all 4 of my kiddos are out of the house. ;)

Unknown said...

It was a dream for us for many years also. We decided last year to make the leap of faith and just do it. It's been slowly progressing but with working full time, it has to be done on weekends and time off. Thanks for the comment and I hope you find your way into your dream. Keep in touch! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! How cool this adventure must be! As i said, i saw several of these tiny homes on GMA abt a yr ago n was totally impressed. Perfect a one person, one cat n dog fam like mine:). I am so proud of u n Ronnie steppin out on faith n only pray that i will b able to come n visit. I do love n appreciate u n my life. Till the next time my dear sister!:) Luv...Roz!

Unknown said...

Thanks Roz. You'll have to come out to dinner one night after we move in! :)